Google
 
Web My blog,Art's journey!

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Less-Dramatic

Today after church I was playing the piano and a missionary came up to me and said very seriously "Art, can you play the piano less dramatic in the sacrament?" I was like... urrrr. In fact I have been thinking a lot myself of what people would think when I play like I usually do. Well, when I play hymns, any hymns everywhere I do not play exactly how they are written, usually not because I don't like the way they are but my brain would just start to improvise the hymn I play and now I actually have a hard time trying to play hymns they way they are written. some people like it and some don't. I still remember when I was a missionary in the US a lot of members would come up to may and told me that they really like the way I play the hymn but some of my companions just hated it! And I understand both sides. This missionary who told me to play the piano less-dramatically probably thought that in the sacrament I should play the piano simply and according to how the hymns were written so the spirit would remain in the meeting. But in the other hand I don't think improvising music will shake off the spirit either. When I play the piano I just let my spirit go and play with my soul. And I guess because of that it's so hard to me, I almost have to work on it, playing the hymns without improvising them. You know what I mean? It is very complicated to explain. And I think I will continue to play hymns the way I normally do, may be a little less-dramatically. Ha ha, seriously, I guess I need to change a little or otherwise I might differ someone from feeling the spirit and that's not good especially in the sacrament meetings. What do you think? I would appreciate every comment.

3 Comments:

Blogger Art said...

Thank KC,
Kids still play in the sacrament meetings. We take turn playing so all of us could serve others. Thank you for your opinion. I don't know, I still don't feel uneasy about his comment and I am not trying to play that way to show off you know. I guess you are right about there can also be good found in the simple. Let me work on it. I believe in progression and part of that is to listen and improve to reach your potential. Thanks again KC!!!!

10:10 AM GMT+7  
Blogger Photography said...

wow. nice blog. thanks

7:55 PM GMT+7  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Art,
One thing I know each time you or your Dad play the music.I in love with it. I have no complaint at all but suprised me always when I started singing you guys will tell me to stop.Why don't you and your Dad infatuated with my voice like I infatuatedwithyourmusic.555555555

Mom

7:52 PM GMT+7  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Medical Billing Software
Medical Billing Software